Growing up going to the zoo with my parents and seeing the great apes, and monkeys was definitely a highlight. Watching them pace around their custom-built enclosures waiting for some form of stimulation offered me a chance to see how similar they were to humans, but also made me question really how happy they were. I’d dreamt of seeing them in the wild one day, but with the diminishing forest due to the palm oil trade, I was unsure if this dream was ever going to become a reality.

Fast forward 30-odd years, and I finally bit the bullet and decided it was time to visit these amazing creatures in the wild.

But with not just any tour group. I wanted to select one that was giving back to the area. One that was making a real difference to the reforestation efforts and one that I could trust to treat the orangutans with respect, as we were in their habitat after all.

It was a no-brainer to book with Orangutan Trekking Tours! After hearing that their tour guides have spent most of their lives in the jungle and that they’re working towards purchasing more and more land to conserve the jungle, it made me feel comfortable and excited to contribute to their efforts and vision for the future.


Flying in from Australia, the most straightforward route was via Jakarta. We arrived on a Qantas flight into Terminal 3 at around 6:45 pm and made our way to the baggage collection via the Visa on Arrival desk.
Tip: Bring US dollars, or get some Indonesian Rupiah out before you arrive in Indonesia to pay for a visa (approx. US$55 each). 

We then caught the airport SkyTrain to Terminal 2 to check into our accommodation for the night. We booked a deluxe king room at Jakarta Airport Hotel which was located within the airport and easy to find. The room was clean, and comfortable and offered delicious room service which was needed after a long flight!


We woke up early to make our way via SkyTrain to the Nam Air check-in desk which is located in Terminal 1. Our flight departed at 05:45 am, but because it’s a domestic flight we only had to check in for baggage drop at 04:45 am, so with a quick instant coffee at the gate and some people watching we were soon on the Nam Air IN190 flight into Pangkalan Bun.
Tip: Our international flight allowed for 32kg of check-in luggage, and 10kg of carry-on luggage, but the Nam Air domestic flight only allows 20kg of check-in baggage and 7kg of carry-on luggage. 

The flight was quick and we were offered a small snack on board before landing in Pangkalan Bun Airport. The airport is incredibly small, so we watched our baggage being unloaded from the plane and onto the conveyor belt for collection. We grabbed our bags and walked outside of the airport where we were greeted by intense humidity and a sea of friendly faces ready to offer a ride.

Amongst the crowd was a familiar face – our tour guide Arbain ‘Bain’. Here he is:

Arbain our tour guide


We got in an air-conditioned car and started the 20-minute journey to Kumai where the boat was docked. The streets were alive with scooters, trucks, and bikes all weaving their way around each other with precision. Bain answered the many questions I had about the different buildings, what the bird noises were and how the locals made a living. He was energetic and enthusiastic to share all his knowledge.

We quickly arrived at the boat via a small alleyway between houses, where the crew were waiting to introduce themselves. We had a captain, two assistants, a cook and of course our main tour guide, Bain on board with us.

We stepped on board and were delighted to see how clean and well-maintained it was. It was built just before COVID hit in 2019 and was meticulously looked after since. Here’s more about the boat here.

The crew set up a tea and coffee station at the back of the boat and brought us some chips, bananas, and biscuits to snack on while we waited for them to load the boat with the supplies needed for the 5-day trip. I was delighted to spot a big bag of young coconuts being carried onboard, as I had asked Bain prior if they were easy to get in Kumai.


As the crew prepared the boat, Bain invited us to explore the streets of Kumai before we set a voyage into the jungle. We left our bags onboard and followed Bain through the bustling streets of this small river village. We were greeted with smiles, waves from the young children and smells of freshly cooked street food. Bain explained that one of the village’s main sources of income was bird saliva! I was shocked too by the unusual trade. Bain pointed out the tall concrete buildings which were constructed with speakers playing bird noises to lure them in, and then holes on the sides of the building for the birds to enter and make their saliva nests. You can read more about this here. The nests are then collected and sold to China as Chinese medicine and a delicacy.

Bain laughed that since the bird sounds were played 24 /7 he was confused why anyone would build their houses at the base of these buildings, but they do!

After an hour of exploring the streets and learning how the locals live, we once again boarded the boat which was fully packed and ready for the trip. Just in time, it seemed, as the grey clouds that loomed over us for the walk around the village decided it was time to release a torrential downpour. I’ve never seen anyone work quicker than the crew pulling down the canvas blinds on the boat, so in less than 2 minutes we were covered from the rain and enjoyed the relief from the humidity. Many sources will tell you to avoid the wet season in Asia, but this right now would have had to be one of my many trip highlights.

After 20 minutes, the rain cleared and the sun came out again. The blinds were raised and we were ready to cruise into the jungle! We relaxed on the back couches and chatted, watching the other trade boats make their way around the river.

Before we knew it, Joko the assistant was bringing out plates of delicious lunch and inviting us to gather around the table on the middle deck. The food looked amazing! Chicken with curry sauce, sautéed vegetables, fried tempeh, fresh steamed rice and watermelon. Everything was freshly cooked by the onboard cook and it was exceptionally delicious.

We ate as we cruised into the Sekonyer River and the jungle started to appear. This was our first real view of the jungle, and it was breathtakingly beautiful and full of life. We were told that the cruise was going to take 2.5 hours until our first stop, but shortly after arriving in the jungle, we stopped abruptly! A group of Proboscis monkeys were jumping between the trees, making loud noises and alerting each other to the approaching boat. They jumped around and watched us closely as we slowed and pulled off to the side to get a closer look. Bain explained that they often travel in groups, sometimes as large as 20 with many babies around. We stayed and took photos for 30 minutes before the boat started again, and we continued our journey.

Then we came across what we all came here for! A small wild female orangutan just hanging in the trees, curiously watching. The density of the jungle contrasting against her dark orange hair made her easy to sight, but she camouflaged into the trees at the same time with her low crouch on the branch. She watched and curiously nudged her way closer to us. The captain shut off the engine as the crew pulled at the reeds to pull the boat to the side of the river, where we took photos and just basked in the presence of this amazing animal. We knew she could leave at any stage, but her curiosity made her comfortable to stay and watch us. At this point, we weren’t sure who was more interested in who.

Bain made sure we got the best angles for many photos, and casually made calls to get her attention. The time passed quickly, but after 40 minutes we continued the trip, everyone feeling excited that we’d seen our first wild orangutan without the disruption of other tour boats.


Shortly up the river was our first destination – Tanjung Harapan. This rehabilitation camp was originally for ex-captive and orphaned baby orangutans, but also a reforestation project where they grew seedlings.

There were a few other tour boats docked at the small wooden jetty, but it was clear they were leaving. Thinking we’d missed the action we asked Bain if the orangutans would still be feeding (feeding time is 3 pm daily, and we arrived a little before 4 pm). He explained that his friend is the local ranger, so he’d received a call to let him know that the other tour groups are leaving but a mother with her baby was still making their way to the station, so we’d have the best view to experience this without the other groups! Right at this moment, we knew we were lucky to have Bain as our tour guide.

We lathered ourselves in mosquito repellent, put on long sleeve shirts and made our way along the jungle path towards the feeding station. This was our first real up-close look at the plant diversity and 360 immersion of all the jungle sounds. We could hear the proboscis monkeys in the distance, cicadas in every direction and the random rustling in the trees from various wildlife that make homes within the jungle.

We arrived at a small opening with a viewing area, then a platform 5 meters behind a small fence so we could watch the feeding orangutans from a safe distance. The beautiful mother and baby had come down from the trees and taken place on the platform to eat sugar cane. As the wind howled through the trees and the dark clouds once again loomed, we knew there was another downpour about to happen. We sat in silence, watching the mother hand her baby sticks of sugar cane, teaching him how to strip the hard outer layer to get to the soft and juicy inner sweetness. The rains came and without realising, the crew had covered us with umbrellas as we sat in silence.

Bain explained the importance of these feeding stations. The forest has over 400 types of food for the orangutans, but different seasons bring new challenges for the rehabilitated orangutans to find a variety of foods to maintain a balanced diet. The feeding stations are stocked once a day by the local rangers, and the orangutans make their way by habit to see what’s on offer. Some days it may be watermelon, bananas, sugar cane or jackfruit, all depending on the season.

It was surreal being so close to these two and learning about the conservation and importance of the feeding stations.

As we were about to leave, another mother and her baby moved in to see what was left. The rain passed and we witnessed the first mother disappear into the denseness of the jungle, making way for others to also feed. The crew packed additional bottled water and mosquito repellant, which was welcomed as the mosquitos tend to hang around these open areas where the fruit is.

Tip: We wore sandals and sandshoes, and didn’t feel the need for hiking boots as the walk is fairly flat. Pack a hat and the crew will make you a ‘leaf fan’ to keep cool and the mosquitos away. 

We watched for another 20 minutes before returning to the boat. Right on time for the rains to hit again, so we bunkered down and freshened up. The crew brought us cold face towels straight out of the fridge which was an absolute blessing!

Once refreshed and the rains passed, dinner was ready and the captain navigated the river to find our dock for the night! Served on the middle deck, was a delicious bowl of vegetable and egg soup, beef curry, crumbed fish, green beans with chilli, steamed rice and fresh oranges (although the skin of the oranges in Indonesia is green!).

We relaxed back on the back couch and relived the day. We felt so blessed to have experienced what we did during the day and the tentativeness of the crew was second to none. They were setting up our deck bedding as we relaxed and kicked up our feet, and got ready for bed by refreshing ourselves with a cold shower below deck. We brought our travel towels, but there are fresh towels on deck if needed. Body wash is also provided in both bathrooms.

Sleeping areas on the boat are split into two options. Below the deck is a private room, with a king-sized bed and ensuite. Fit with an air conditioner and small wall-mounted fan (and a cosy private balcony at the back!).

But the real sleeping experience is on deck! The crew change the sheets daily and hang a mosquito net over the king single mattresses, so you’re immersed in the jungle sounds. It’s almost soothing as the boat slightly rocks, and the humming sounds of cicadas drift you off into a deep sleep. Now and then you might wake to the sound of a male long call, or proboscis monkeys playing in the trees, but this all adds to the adventure.

Day 2

Awoken at midnight by the grunts of a king! A large wild male was in the near and set us up for an exciting day 2. We drifted off to sleep again and as the sun rose, we awoke to proboscis monkeys right next to the boat! They were extremely close so we captured some photos as the cook prepared breakfast.

We tucked into a delicious spread of scrambled eggs, toast, jam and chocolate spread, orange juice, tea and coffee before the boat set off again to our next destination.

The mornings are slightly cooler than during the day, so we had light jumpers if needed, or just soaked in the morning sun on the deck lounging in either the bean bags or hammocks.

After 30 minutes in we came across a juvenile male – 12 years old maybe and completely wild on the edge of the bank. Curious and happy to stay so we turned the motor off and silently sat in his presence. Stayed for an hour with no other boats on the river passing. He even posed!

We once again kept cruising up the river with groups of proboscis monkeys swinging through the trees, brightly coloured kingfisher flew across the front of the boat, and we decided it was the perfect opportunity to fly the drone to see the jungle from above.

Tip: Drone permits are quite expensive (approx US$550), but well worth it. We arranged it in advance and had to bring cash to pay the rangers. The guides will let you know which areas you can fly in, but it’s essentially anywhere except for around the feeding stations and directly around the wildlife. 

We very rarely passed other tour boats, and certainly felt as though our tour was doing the opposite of everyone else so we never felt like we were crowded or ‘just on another tour’. As we cruised up the river, we spent a lot of time on the back U-couch and just took in the scenery. Bain pointed out one of the plots of land owned by the Green Team, and it was amazing to see directly how the money is spent.

Green team land

The crew brought out fresh coconuts, and coconut juice which had condensed milk added to it (a little too sweet for my liking, but loved that the crew provided options). We carried the bean bags onto the top deck and sipped on coconuts watching the views as another big male could be heard from the distance. Bain called the local ranger who notified us that the big male was making his way to the feeding station at Camp Leakey, so we also set this as our destination.

Coconuts on the top deck of the klotok

Lunch was served. This time we were treated to corn fritters (by far the most delicious fritters I have ever tasted and made even better with the Indonesian chilli sauce called sambal), fried chicken, baby squid stir fry, steamed rice, sautéed Asian greens and fresh pineapple. The cook caught onto the fact that we loved chilli, so gave us a bowl of fresh chill paste she made as well. It was HOT! Like really hot, but we loved it and recommend it highly.

Camp Leakey was another hour away, so we had time to freshen up and get ready for the trek ahead and also digest the meal. We never go hungry and it was great that we were given so much variety, everything was super fresh and our preferences were specifically catered for. We didn’t have any specific dietary requirements, but the cook would cater for them all if needed.


We arrived at Camp Leakey where we once again lathered ourselves in mosquito repellant and wore long pants, long shirts and stable shoes. We found that the feeding station treks didn’t require special hiking shoes, but it was better to be wearing sturdy shoes as even the boardwalks are uneven in sections.

There was only one other tour group at the platform already, but the area was large enough to ensure we captured many photos! The large male was sitting at the station enjoying the sugar cane that had been left by the rangers. We stayed for 20 minutes or so and felt as though we wanted to continue looking for wild ones and Bain was more than happy to take us on the trek off the beaten track.

We weaved through the jungle following the small paths, stopping numerous times along the way to learn things. We were shown old trees that had been infested with termites – Orangutans absolutely love termites, so they break apart the wood and find these delicious little bugs.. if they get to them before the sun bears, that is!

We also saw sun bear scratches on trees and were educated about natural plant medicines and how the Dayak people would use these plants for various ailments.

The wild orangutans are much harder to spot when you’re on the ground, as they usually sense you’re coming and move away from the area as they’re not used to human presence. We didn’t see any this time but didn’t feel discouraged as we were just happy to be amongst the jungle and away from the other tour groups.

We walked back to the boat where once again the cold towels were waiting for us, along with some cold juice. The crew asked us if we wanted to go fishing, and we were excited to take part.

We cruised up the river for a little bit and pulled up at a dock where the crew brought out fishing rods, lures and bait. We relaxed back and flicked the rods and were delighted to catch a few fish of some sort. The crew were going to have them for dinner, so delighted that we were catching them a feed! We watched the sunset from the dock and watched the proboscis monkeys across the river jumping through the trees, playing and screeching at each other. There were so many ‘pinch me’ moments, as it was hard to believe how beautiful the jungle was.


Once completely dark, we got ready to go on a night trek which I had heard was a highlight of the trip. We wore a lot of mosquito repellant as the head torched seemed to attract every type of bug right to your face, but with the repellant, it was bearable and almost quite amusing as the big dragonflies come right for you and then land on your body!

We met with the local ranger who guided us through the night. He carried quite a large knife which raised many questions (and excitement really!). Bain explained that there was a Clouded Leopard in the area and he hasn’t seen one in 10 years. He’d never managed to get a photo of it, so was always excited about taking guests on a night trek because he could continue the hunt to get photos. We stopped by the trail camera, and the ranger showed us which animals it had detected over the last month. There were photos of wild boars, orangutans, sambar deer, and binturong, but not the clouded leopard.

The trek was amazing though! We saw many spiders, including a massive tarantula which the ranger lured out of its hole. One of the guests and Bain also got attacked by fire ants which will be a tale to tell for many years to come!

As soon as we made it back to the boat, dinner was waiting for us! We had probably the most delicious satay chicken skewers I’ve ever had, sweet and spicy battered fish, eggplant, steamed rice and dragonfruit.

It was safe to say we were all exhausted after the day in the heat, so the crew set up our beds and cleared dinner as we showered and prepared for an early night.

Day 3

If you’re a fan of pancakes like me, then I’d almost say this tour is worth coming on just to try the delicious pancakes that the cook makes! I don’t know if it was the bananas or the chocolate spread but I could eat my weight in those delicious things! We also had French toast and papaya to fill our bellies before the day ahead.


We cruised to Pondok Tanggui which was once a release centre for pre-adolescent ex-captive and orphaned orangutans after they were rehabilitated. This is a beautiful location and we were there for the feeding at 09:00 before any of the other tour groups.

The trek to the platform was easy and because of the cooler morning weather, we were able to ditch the long pants and shirts, and just do a light coating of mosquito repellant.

When we arrived at the platform, there were two mothers with their babies, as well as a young male devouring the fruit to replenish their diets. We watched on in awe of how human-like the orangutan babies are. They watched on curiously and kept close to Mum, but were independent enough to select which piece of fruit they were going to enjoy next.

We stayed until they were full, and then followed them out of the station along the path until they diverted off and disappeared into the thick jungle.

Back on the boat, we started cruising again. These breaks between trekking were much needed, as the humidity is high and our chances of wild orangutan sightings were much higher along the river via boat. This time we sighted two wild mums and their playful babies. Bain once again made sure we captured amazing photos and got the best angles. He called out to them and the babies responded with their big kissing noises!

Lunch today was okra, battered and fried tempeh, sweet and sour baby prawns, battered and fried octopus, pawpaw and watermelon. Okra is a common Asian vegetable and is considerably high in vitamin C. When prepared properly (as it can go quite slimy when not), it’s crunchy and so delicious. We finished the full plate and once again it’s great with chilli.

lunch on board the klotok

While we were having lunch, the captain docked the boat and Bain went on a walk to see if he could find a big male. He came back without disappointment and with a huge grin on his face, so we stopped what we were doing and quickly followed him off the boat!

We didn’t have to walk long before we caught sight of a massive male right near the ranger’s camp. He was content and watched us peacefully as we kept our distance and took photos. This was by far the largest male we had seen during the trip and it was an unforgettable experience being face-to-face with him. We stayed for 15 minutes or so and suddenly he got up and came straight for us!!

Well… not for us, but for the bag of bananas the ranger had on his back to replenish the feeding station.

We were able to follow the ranger and the big male from a safe distance along the winding path into the jungle which was beyond the best experience ever! He stopped from time to time to turn around and look at us but was unfazed by all the attention.

Tip: It’s easy to get caught in the moment and want to get closer, but it’s important to be reminded that these are wild animals. We always followed Bain’s lead and knew he was overly cautious for good reason. He’s worked with Orangutans most of his life in different ways, and we felt comfortable having him by our side but also understood why it was safest to stay at least 5 meters away. This is where the camera lens comes in handy!

Following male orangutan to feeding station

After staying at the feeding station for a while and watching another female eating, we decided it was time to return to the boat and keep cruising so we could spot wild ones again.

You guessed it, cold towels and this time snacks were waiting for us. It quickly became our favourite thing to return to and the crew never missed a beat in looking after us!

Tip: Joko makes a fairly fancy leaf fan if you ever find yourself needing some air circulation while you’re trekking, and his bag is always full of icy cold water.

By this stage of the trip, it was becoming really normal for us to see a mother Orangutan with a baby along the river, or a group of Proboscis monkeys jumping through the trees.

The crew were more than happy to stop the boat, so we could get photos which we loved because it was what we were here for after all!


We decided to stay at the only accommodation within the jungle for the night, Rimba Lodge. It was approximately US$120 a night and is rated anywhere between 3 and 4.4 stars depending on which source you went by. The lodge has its dock and boardwalk, but if you’re staying here the klotok will be parked a short cruise upstream at another dock.

Rimba Lodge entrance

We unloaded a small bag and made our way into the reception of Rimba Lodge. We were greeted with freshly squeezed orange juice (absolutely delicious), and shown to our room which was right near reception. The room looked comfortable and had a small ensuite – everything we needed for the night, but nothing too overly flashy.

Rimba Lodge room

We checked out the restaurant dining area and walked around the lodge where nearly identical rooms were linked with wooden boardwalks. We felt so at home on the boat, that we decided to return to it to watch the sunset and listen to music on the top deck while the crew prepared dinner.

Rimba Lodge does offer dinner, but we loved the meals onboard so much that we opted to get back onboard. Dinner was an entree of Rawon – a traditional beef soup, corn and carrot fritters, chilli and omelette with steamed rice, then oranges. Fruit juice was also prepared for us with papaya, watermelon and orange. There was so much food, but everything was so delicious so we all had clean plates by the end.

After dinner, Bain asked if we wanted to watch a documentary filmed by BBC about an orphan orangutan that was released in Tanjung Puting National Park. ‘From Orphan to King‘ actually featured Bain, as he was a Park Ranger at the time it was filmed! We watched it in the dining room of Rimba Lodge where they set up a projector and screen. It was great to learn more about the true story and impact of this baby orangutan being stolen by hunters, and then rescued and taken to Camp Leakey and finally rehabilitated and released into the jungle.

We went back to our room at Rimba Lodge for the night and quickly drifted off to sleep after a warm shower (to be honest the warm water wasn’t needed but it was on offer, so why not.. We have gotten used to the refreshing showers we’d been having on the boat!).

However, before we could fully drift off into a deep sleep we heard a knock at the door! It was Bain and Joko…

While we had been watching the documentary, Bain received a call from his ranger friend as he had just sighted a Clouded Leopard! Bain quickly jumped into a long boat and made his way down the river to meet his friend. Sure enough, the clouded leopard was still camouflaged high in the treetops. Bain had managed to get a few photos before it made its way down the tree and into the dense jungle.

He was so excited to show us the photos, and we were stoked for him! 10 years between sightings and he finally managed to get photos.

Clouded Leopard

Day 4

We got back on the boat again just in time for breakfast. My favourite banana pancakes, toast scrambled eggs and fresh orange juice.

We cruised the river spotting wild Orangutans (four this morning) and enjoyed coffee in the hammocks. Our cruise was expected to take three hours, so we used this time to chat with the crew, relax on deck and just take in the surroundings. We spotted many kingfishers, and another rarity – Pig Tailed Monkeys which Bain was exceptionally enthusiastic about taking photos of these cheeky monkeys.

Pig tailed monkey


Along the river, we spotted wooden houses build upon stilts that generally had longboats parked underneath, friendly faces in the windows and often smoke coming from small cooking fires on the decking. We were so delighted that this was our destination today and that we were going to plant some trees!

We pulled up to one of the houses and jumped in a longboat to make the quick 15-minute trip upstream. It was amazing to be able to go down the smaller river systems that the big boats can’t access and also be within a traditional long boat. We’d seen the locals cruise up and down the river, but never seen tourists on board so knew this was a unique experience.. offered only because Bain was friends with the people who owned the boats.

Longboat cruise on Senkonyer River

We arrived at a small boardwalk and followed the track for about 15 minutes to the Friends of the National Park (FNPF) volunteer station. The station was positioned on land they had purchased to replant, so it was quite a walk from the river banks.

We were invited to try some freshly picked pineapple they grew there and sat down in the dining area to learn about the foundation. They offer accommodation onsite to allow volunteers to stay up to a month or two. We selected 8 plants to plant which were a variety of fruit trees including rambutan and papaya. It felt great to do our small part in their reforestation efforts and hopefully, one day return to the area and see how dense the forest had become with a good variety of fruits and trees.

Tree planting with FNPF

The dark clouds hit hard this time, so before we knew it we were completely soaked and the tiny path we had followed had now become a flowing river. We excitedly kicked off our shoes and trekked back to the longboat barefoot under umbrellas – once again, the crew looked after us and had forward planned for the rain, so the umbrellas were there waiting as soon as the rains hit.

We made it back to the longboat as the rains eased, and poor Joko had to bail out the boat.. all with a smile on his face of course. We huddled in the boat and made the short journey back to Jungle Papa where lunch was served.

The crew must have been fishing while we were away because we were treated to freshly grilled fish, battered eggplant, steamed rice and vegetables. As well as fresh papaya. The collaboration between the crew was amazing, and honestly, they never missed a beat. We were always so well looked after whether it be the cold towels after treks, a steady hand to get off the boat, or going above and beyond getting us involved in the fishing. We can’t rate the crew high enough!

Freshly grilled fish

We then started cruising again, with our destination being Tanjung Harapan. We has been there earlier on in the trip, but it was another good excuse to take more photos.

Although after the rains, the river banks were bustling with action. We spotted two hornbills, countless macaques, another group of pig-tailed monkeys, and a whopping six wild Orangutans! We didn’t even make it to the feeding station in time for the feeding but weren’t disappointed at all because we saw so much just cruising along the river.

The sun started setting, so our last dinner was served: vegetable and quail egg soup, Chicken curry, fried tempeh, steamed rice, fried fat noodles and pudding. Even writing this I’m salivating and missing the food.

The crew set up our beds again as we relaxed back and digested dinner. After a refreshing shower, we settled in for our last night on the boat.

Jungle Papa at night


We had booked the midday flight from Pangkalan Bun which meant we had to be back in Kumai by 10 am to get ready and be transferred to the airport. We started moving as soon as we got up and enjoyed our last breakfast on board. I think the cook knew how much we loved her pancakes, and I’d never complain if it was the only thing I ate for the rest of my life, so we had her pancakes, fried banana and fresh orange juice for breakfast as we cruised back into the harbour of Kumai.

We arrived shortly before 10 am and were assisted by the crew to get our things together and ready for the trip back to the airport.

We were so delighted by the crew and their hospitality that we gave them tips and thanked them for their work! It was lovely to see their families waiting at the dock for their arrival back home.

Jungle Papa crew

Bain transferred us back to the airport and made sure we caught our flight. We were all sad to leave the jungle and that the adventure had now come to an end, but overly appreciative of everything we had experienced. It was clear that Bain loves what he does and that his crew shares the same passion for conservation as he does.

It was clear during the trip that the experience provided by Orangutan Trekking Tours was much different to those of the other tour groups. We weren’t following the crowds and often felt as though we were the only ones in the jungle with the wildlife. Having Bain contact the rangers to check where the orangutans were meant we could utilise our time well and see as much as possible while we were there.

So go on, what are you waiting for?!

Book your tour now for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Who knows, you might even be lucky enough to spot a clouded leopard!